Vodka chilli sand crab
Vodka Chilli Blue Swimmer Crab:
- 6 dried, red chillies, finely chopped
- 300ml vodka
- 4 blue swimmer crabs
- 200g salted butter
- 2 white onion, finely sliced
- 6 spring onions, sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup long grain rice, rinsed
- 1 cup coconut cream
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 long red chilli, finely diced
- finely chopped chives
- For the Vodka Chilli Blue Swimmer Crab, place dried chilli into a mortar and pestle and grind. Transfer chilli to a small bowl, add vodka and set aside to infuse for 40 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve and discard chilli.
- Clean crabs and remove gills. Cut crabs in half and then in half again. Set aside.
- Place 100g butter in a wok and place over high heat. Once butter has melted, add white onion and cook until golden and soft, about 4 minutes. Add crab and cook until shells turn orange. Add chilli infused vodka, spring onions and remaining butter. Cook until sauce has thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, season and set aside, keeping warm, until serving.
- For the Coconut Rice, place rice, coconut cream, salt and 1 cup water into a large microwave safe bowl and stir to combine. Cover and cook in microwave, stirring every 5 minutes until liquid has been absorbed, and rice is cooked, about 20 minutes. Spoon into 4 serving bowls.
- Place vegetable oil in a small frypan and set over high heat. Add spring onions and fry until golden. Remove from frypan and drain on paper towel. Place fried spring onions over rice and sprinkle with red chilli.
- To serve, arrange Vodka Chilli Blue Swimmer Crab pieces over Coconut Rice, pour over remaining sauce and garnish with chopped chives.