SMASHED PEAS WITH LEEKS AND MINT
50g of butter
Extra virgin olive oil
1 heaped teaspoon flour
285ml chicken or vegetable stock
2 leeks, trimmed and finely sliced
400g Birds Eye frozen Australian-grown garden peas
1 bunch mint, finely sliced
1 lemon, juice
Good quality sourdough, to serve
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the leeks, stirring occasionally until soft, about 7-10 minutes.
2. Add the butter and when melted add the flour and stir, until a loose roux forms then slowly add in the stock.
3. Turn up the heat and add the peas with a pinch of salt. Put the lid on and simmer for 5 minutes or until tender. Add the mint and a squeeze of lemon juice while crushing the peas with the back of a fork.
4. For the poached eggs, bring a medium-sized pot of water to the boil and add the vinegar, reduce heat to medium and using a slotted spoon spin the water in the pot. Crack egg into the spinning water and cook for 6-8 minutes or until cooked.
5. Serve peas on a thick slice of sourdough toast with a poached egg on top.